The War Memorial, Mooroopna
Museum opening times:
CONTRIBUTE TO THE SOCIETY'S SUCCESS
The Society's Museum and Gallery
The Society is housed at 30 Park Street, Mooroopna, the former Grutzner House, at the rear of the old Mooroopna Hospital.
Our new building has several sections:
- displays items from Mooroopna's past, together with documents and photographs of our township
- displays and preserves items associated with the history of the Mooroopna Hospital (now Goulburn Valley Health) and of health care in the Goulburn Valley.
- displays paintings or photographs by local or regional artists
- provides a comfortable meeting room for clubs and societies
- provides (by prior arrangement) light refreshments
- has book sales (Historical Society publications and second hand books).
Our storage facilities
- preserve local family histories and records, documents and artefacts of various organisations and societies
- preserve documents of state or national significance.
Visitors to our museum will see:
Local history including the history of Ardmona Foods Ltd and McLennan's Flour Mill, two major employers in the town. We have an extensive collection of local family histories, artefacts of early Mooroopna, early newspapers, etc.
A hospital and medical museum of regional significance. Our display includes the history of the unique direct blood transfusion service established during the Second World War and a photographic record of the destruction by fire of the old hospital building in January 2011.
The Historical Society of Mooroopna exists to establish, maintain and manage a collection of historical items and to restore, preserve, catalogue and display articles of importance to the history of Mooroopna and District.
Mooroopna is 3-4 km from Shepparton across the Goulburn River, by road or by the bicycle/footpath. SPC Ardmona Kidstown is half way between the two towns and offers an exciting area for children to spend many happy hours.
Mooroopna, with a population of 7200, is now a largely residential community with a vibrant shopping centre. The town has many pleasant parks and gardens worthy of a family picnic. Download a map to our museum here.
Our collection is devoted to the history of Mooroopna and District and the history of the Mooroopna Hospital, which changed its name to the Goulburn Valley Base Hospital in 1977. The Society encourages the collection of items relevant to our citizens and their families as well as social, industrial, agricultural and horticultural history.
The Historical Society of Mooroopna actively seeks the support of volunteers
- interested in the development and maintenance of the Society's records. We seek anyone with time to learn the techniques of cataloging and archiving, which allow the Society to present a digital face to the world.
- with special skills such as maintenance, decorating, cleaning, cooking, etc.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in Mooroopna and its history and with payment of the appropriate annual subscription.
Annual Subscription: Corporate or Business $30.00 Individuals $20.00 Family $25.00 Pensioners $15.00 Students $5.00
Price (inc GST)
Mooroopna to 1988 (272 pages, hard cover)
Mooroopna Memories (1986-93)- separate issues
History of Mooroopna 1936 - Revised, adding four photos from the 1870s.
The Streets and Parks of Mooroopna
Please forward requests and the appropriate cheque to the Treasurer at Box 206, Mooroopna, Victoria 3629, Australia. Publications may also be purchased from the Mooroopna Authorised Newsagency, McLennan Street, Mooroopna 3629.
Interested in museums? Australian Museums On Line (AMOL) provides access to information about more than 1000 Australian museums and galleries.
Some local history links:
Some medical history links:
Medical History Museum (Melbourne University)
If you know anyone who might enjoy this web-site - please use this facility to let them know about it!
Would you like us to preserve your family history?