Mooroopna Hospital Museum

The Medical museum contains photographs, documents, instruments, books, uniforms and other items commemorating life in the Mooroopna Hospital between 1874 and 1974. This collection of medical and hospital memorabilia was originally gathered by the late Geoffrey Nice who was Secretary/Manager between 1945 and 1980.

The staff, the buildings and the notable achievements of the day are all part of the hospital museum. Noted for innovative change and the excellence of its medical services during the early 20th century, the Mooroopna Hospital grew from a 2-bed wooden hut in 1876 to a 180-bed, largely brick building in 1940.

The extraordinary nursing history commemorates the story of Jessie Edwards, the first nurse graduate in 1896 and Elsie Jones, DSO, OBE, the highly respected matron for some 46 years, among many others. During the Second World War, the world’s first regular direct blood transfusion service was established by local Red Cross members (Nance Gaylard and Mavis Newton) and general practitioners (Duncan Mackellar and Dick Kennedy).

On display are a mock operating theatre, the direct blood transfusion equipment, nurse's uniforms, pathology equipment and surgical instruments.

 

An early operating theatre.